How’s your overall health? Are you prone to catching every sniffle and cold that comes around? Not only is frequent illness physically exhausting, but it can also cause you to miss out on important daily activities.
If you’re having trouble staying healthy, your immune system might be at risk. One of the best ways to strengthen your immune system at home is to make a few key lifestyle changes.
These smart, simple tips will keep you feeling strong and healthy all year long.
How can I strengthen my immune system at home?
Here are some ways to strengthen your immune response:
- Drink more water: Your body needs water to help move nutrients and waste around—and out. Staying sufficiently hydrated ensures that your body has the water it needs to function properly.
- Get more exercise: Regular exercise lowers the risk of chronic disease. Aim for about 150 minutes of exercise per week—that’s just over 20 minutes per day. Plus, it will improve your mood and sleep.
- Eat lots of garlic: Garlic—especially raw garlic—is great for warding off infection. It might make your breath smell bad, but it can kill bacteria and boost your immune system.
- Sleep more: Your body needs plenty of rest to function properly. If you’ve been operating on a sleep deficit for more than a day or two, it might be time to consider reconfiguring your sleep schedule.
- Examine your stress levels: Stress is terrible for your immune system. Although eliminating stress sounds easier than it is, it’s worth considering where you can make healthy changes.
- Quit smoking: Nicotine suppresses the immune system, which is the opposite of what you need. If you’re still smoking, consider making the effort to quit—it will save your health in more ways than one.
- Moderate alcohol intake: Drinking excessively throws off your gut’s bacterial balance and can cause inflammation. This causes your body to work overtime and weakens your immune system.
What are some supplements that boost the immune system?
There are plenty of supplements you can take to boost immunity. In addition to eating a healthy, well-rounded diet rich in antioxidants, try vitamin C and zinc supplements. Vitamin C helps repair tissues, supports heart health and repairs bones, teeth and cartilage. Zinc plays a similar role, which helps your body fight infections.
Finally, you can use a probiotic supplement to make sure that your gut health is as good as it can be. Your intestinal flora is responsible for fighting off infections, illnesses and more. Supplementing with a probiotic ensures you’ll be ready for any cold, flu or other illness that comes your way.
Now that you know how you can strengthen your immune system at home—and the supplements that will help—stop by A Gift of Health today. Our friendly staff will be glad to help you find whatever supplements or natural products you need to stay healthy and happy. We look forward to assisting you soon!