While fad diets come and go, the keto diet has been a successful lifestyle choice for many people throughout the years. What is the keto diet?
Read on to find out all you need to know, including what you can eat on the keto diet.
What is the keto diet?
The keto diet refers to a high-fat, low-carb ketogenic diet. Why is it such a popular diet? Adherents claim you can eat all the fat you want and even boost your performance—all without ever starving yourself or even feeling hungry.
The main principle behind the diet centers around keeping carbohydrate levels low. By depleting the body of carbohydrates, the most available source of energy, your body will turn to other sources of energy—namely, fats. Since the body’s burning fats at an accelerated rate, the keto diet is said to maximize weight loss.
People following a keto diet are allowed to have some small amounts of carbs. The body converts it into glucose, the simplest source of energy for the body. Since the body always burns this glucose first when it needs energy, it won’t build up in the body and be stored as fat. In the absence of glucose, fat breaks down in the liver and produces ketones. The body then uses these ketones as fuel.
What can I eat on the keto diet?
There are several distinct types of keto, but what unites them all is a focus on achieving a state of ketosis. This always involves limiting the amount of carbs you consume. Many modern keto diets focus on liberal intake of proteins and fats and minimal carbohydrate consumption. Some of the best foods to eat on the keto diet include:
- Seafood: Fish are excellent sources of fat and protein, and they’re also rich in several essential vitamins and minerals. Since they’re nearly carb-free, you can eat as much as you like.
- Low-carb vegetables: Vegetables that are high in carbs can seriously derail your keto diet. Eat non-starchy vegetables that are low in both calories and carbs. Cruciferous vegetables like kale, broccoli and cauliflower are high in many nutrients and contain helpful antioxidants that fight free radicals and cell damage.
- Cheese: Most cheeses are high in fat, high in flavor and (luckily) low on carbs. Just some of the types of low-carb cheeses are cottage cheese, feta, goat cheese, Limburger, Havarti and many more.
- Avocados: Whether you consider them a fruit or a vegetable, avocado is a superfood that works well with a keto diet. They’re high in healthy fats and contain abundant vitamins and minerals.
- Meat and poultry: These are staple foods of the ketogenic diet. Fresh meat and poultry are carb-free and contain several important vitamins and minerals. They’re also significant sources of high-quality protein, helping the body preserve muscle mass as you lose fat.
Want to learn more about what you can eat on the keto diet? Stop by A Gift of Health today, or give us a call. We’ll help you determine whether the keto diet is right for your weight-loss goals as well as what strategies to take to make the most of your efforts.